Saturday, October 16, 2004

Fw: Speed Humps DO Help (UNEDITED EMAIL RECEIVED)

----- Original Message -----
From: RECEIVED VIA EMAIL
To: UNofficiallywinslow@comcast.net
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 7:56 PM
Subject: Speed Hump DO Help


I do understand how many of the people in Cedar Brook feel about the "ugly" speed humps, however, we must concider the reasoning for the need of the humps.

First, please lets make this point clear. Cedar Brook is NOT the only place that has these, unattractive humps. I live in Wyndam Hill, and I can account for three here, that I myself have noticed. Many people, myself included, tend to forget that there is a reason for speed limits. I can't tell you how many times I have caught myself lost in my own world, listening to the radio or talking to my son in the back seat, only to notice how fast I was going. In our quickly growing neighborhoods, there are children out almost any time of day and into the evening. God bless them, but they don't always pay attention to safety. That's our job as adults. So it must be that we need reminders that we should be driving slower. Other wise, some one would not be planning or out there paving these "ugly" humps out there, making sure that we drive a bit slower. I'm sure that there is something else that person would rather be doing.

Also, the most likely reason for the humps are from people complaining about the speed on their streets. Now, if I may, I know first hand about the speeding on Oak Leaf Road that is being refered to. I work for Winslow School #5, which many people might be interested in knowing, is on Oak Leaf Road. Last Fall, all staff were informed of the complaints from neighbors that lived on the street and that there was going to be speed checked by radar and tickets would be issued. I will refer again to the safety of our children being the main reason for this. Memos were sent to EVERY staff mamber in the building. Once again, adults needed a reminder to slow it down.

Here we are now, a few humps later, calling people "ugly"names. I know for a fact that results were demanded for the speeding in these areas, and results were given. I will take any ugly hump on a quiet, rural street over ANY child being hurt, crippled or KILLED ! Sure, there are simply stunning houses on Oak Leaf Road and in Wyndam Hill and any other streets these speed humps were installed. We need to get over it (and ourselves) and understand that there are people in is world that have places to go and people to see and go that extra few( or several miles and hour over the speed limit) with disregaurd to everythings else around them. I have heard from staff at the school that they remember now to go the 25 mph now instead of 35 to 45 they were doing. In fact, I was told by several that the humps should have been higher to insure the speed limit would be taken seriously. Then the complaint would be about the damage done to their cars. But that's not the topic.

I say, better a "hump" than a "bump" in the road. Just seems easier that way.

P.S. The true "ugliness" on Oak Leaf Road are the signs, but I'm sure it helps the children that go to the school with their reading skills and shows them how to handle their problems.......well, like adults (should NOT).


Sincerely,

Easy on the Humps



Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.