Saturday, October 02, 2004

Resident Expresses Concerns (Text from Public Participation Sept 28, 2004 Committee Meeting.)


Resident expesses her concerns to the Committee. The recorded audio is low, so the text of her remarks is also posted below.
this is an audio post - click to play


I live on Oakleaf Road and I'm sure you must know, we now have speed humps that only one person wanted. I originally came here to these meetings to express that myself and many neighbors did not want or feel it necessary to have humps. You, specifically Barry, said that you assumed the majority of the people wanted it. You admitted to me that it may have been the same person or persons who repeatedly called you to complain of speeding; you told me that you would look into it further and personally come to my house to speak to me & the neighbors about your findings. There was a supposed subcommittee to decide the criteria for a street that needed speed humps. You Barry, are not a man of your word. Not only did you lie about taking any time to prove that there was a problem. You flat out ignored our questions and feelings. You continued with the vote for the humps. You sit there smugly knowing you will do exactly what you want to do because there is no democracy here. It is like a little communist régime and 5 of you vote the same regardless of how it effects the taxpayers of Winslow. After a very short time of coming to these meetings, it became very obvious that 4 of you look to 1 person here, and with a nod, everything is decided. The mayor tries very hard to bring changes that will help the tax payer, but you always manage to shoot her down. I asked myself, why would you make 30 people on a street angry just to appease one person? Why should the mayor have to repeatedly ask for township properties to be assessed to get a fair price? Why would you want to give property away especially near an already over crowded high school? My answer is always the same. You do not care about the average hardworking taxpayer of Winslow. In everycase, someone is benefiting and often indirectly, you too. Churchill donated substantially to the Democratic campaign and he benefits substantially every time he puts in a speed hump. If a taxpayer looks more closely, they will see that humps are only on small way that Churchill reaps his harvest at our expense. It also seems that a great deal of the property almost being given away often benefits in some way certain people. Such as, Mr. Maresa, Mr. Diamond, Mr.Paterson, or Mr. Aducat. As a matter of fact, you Barry said you would not bid on property adjacent to land you already owned. I went to the land auction and watched your partner's wife bid on the land. This seems like a real coincidence to me. I think the taxpayer needs to watch closely to see that the zoning for that land doesn't magically change increasing it's value Speaking of the land auction, another thing that has really been bothering me. I also noticed, that you Barbara, were at the sale. It was a work day, during the week, in the middle of the day & for hours. Even if it were lunch it was much longer than the average person's lunch. Which would imply that you do indeed have much more flexibility in your job. Yet you reprimanded the mayor for suggesting so at a previous meeting. The mayor was suggesting that the committee meet on weekends or evenings to accommodate the members who do not have flexibility at work. Most of us cannot afford to lose a days pay. I remember that you Mr. Bates spoke against such aproposal and you Barbara even went so far as to say that it's been working this way for years. Well, it does not work for the taxpayers of Winslow. It allows the little "communist like" régime to continue to make decisions in their favor with less chance that anyone can see or try to interfere. When I asked myself why would you refuse to meet on the weekend or evening if other committee members were willing to give up their time? Control was the only answer I could come up with. I am also very upset that areas such as Leigh Manor are getting a face lift at taxpayers expense. No one helps me to keep my house- my husband and I work. We work hard and we give up extras. If we cannot afford it, we do without. We would not expect tax money to come our way. I first came to these meetings because of speedhumps. I may have to live with humps anyway. However, it made me very aware of how things are done by this committee. You 5 could care less about the average taxpayer of Winslow. If you are allowed to continue, there will be no average family that can afford to live here. I personally think that you should step down and let someone take the job who does care. People willing to give up their weekends or evenings when necessary. People who will not vote Democrat or Republican. People who will not vote to repay a contribution. We need a committee who votes in a way that helps the average tax paying family. I know you won't do the right thing so I can only do my part to tell everyone I see or come in contact with what I have learned by coming here. One further comment. As you may or may not know, many people on my street have put up signs to express our unhappiness with the humps. I have heard rumors that there have been calls to the police and dept of transportation complaining about our signs. If this is true, I would suggest that you consider the possibility, that once again, it is the same person calling or having someone call for them. So you don't misunderstand again. I can tell you that each person that has a sign, wanted the sign. I can also tell you that we constantly have people saying that they agree that the humps have ruined the street. Many people have asked how they can get a sign too. Not one person has complained other than that same neighbor and her friend. We have had constant support.

S.M. Cedar Brook